Saturday, February 01, 2003

I remember why I don't like getting calls before I wake up. Anything that can't wait until a sensible hour is bound to be bad news. This morning I woke up out of a sound sleep to hear the news that the space shuttle Columbia exploded over Texas as it was landing this morning. I haven't turned on the news. This news is bad enough in my imagination. I don't want to watch footage repeatedly. My thoughts go to the friends and family of all aboard the shuttle. I can't imagine what they must be feeling right now. I guess there's nothing to say to them other than "I'm sorry" and "Thank you". The men and women aboard that shuttle went up knowing the dangers and feeling them worth the risk. I appreciate their dedication and I am sorry that space exploration has been ignored the way it has. Hopefully, they haven't given their lives in vain.

Rob said it well...
"I hate that, and I deeply regret the loss of life. But I believe that the US space program has been mired in tar for about 20 years now, and this disaster will make it sink even deeper into that black pit. I'll drink to those who died, but I'll also cuss the ones who made the shuttle and the space station our acme of achievement in space. "

No comments: