Wednesday, February 26, 2003

This week's group therapy session was about...

this article:

1. How do you usually handle incompetence in others?
Usually I am pretty patient - a byproduct of my time spent with children. However in the face of continued, overwhelming incompetence I have been known to loose my cool. I try to remember that the first people I talk to are not usually the ones who messed up. So I try to be polite and not take my frustrations out on them. It doesn't always work, but I try.
2. What is the worst case of incompetence that you have experienced?
Hmm. The first one that comes to mind is my experience with lovely Sprint. The hoopla I went through trying to get my first cell phone working was just rediculous. And then they asked me if I would like to switch my long distance to them. HAHA. I'm sure I have dealt with worse, but I can't think of it right now.
3. Have you ever had a moment of incompetence yourself?
Of course. Multiple times.
4. Do you have (or have you had) someone in your personal life who is (was) consistently incompetent? Explain.
My roommate in college was a bit on the space cadet side. Especially when it came to things we shared. But I don't know if I would label her consistently incompetent.
5. How do you deal with the individual in question 4?
I pretty much just sucked it up. It was only for 3 years. And most of the time she was very nice.
6. Do you have (or have you had) someone in your work/school life who is (was) consistently incompetent? Explain.
Hmm. I guess I have been fortunate enough to avoid having someone like this for very long. My high school principal was worthless - I do remember that.
7. How do you deal with the individual in question 6?
I was 16. He was the principal of the school. What could I do? I made it my responsibility to stop him in the hallway and ask him questions like "So, how is this new discipline strategy working?" or "Do you think there are enough teachers in the halls between classes for adequate supervision?". It made him uncomfortable.
Extra Credit: Find a way to repair something in your life that could breed incompetency. For instance, I bought a PDA so that I could more easily remember my appointments. I use webmail so that I can always have my e-mail at my disposal. Blog about your "fixes."
I make lists and write everything down because I know that I have a lousy memory. I have planners for my year, my month, my week and my day. I take copious notes on everything from parent teacher conferences to staff meetings to good books. I use Ready Notes, a wonderful little computer program to keep notes on all kinds of things.

No comments: