Monday, November 03, 2003

Brrr

Winter has hit Temecula. I know this because my hands are cold. They will remain cold for the next 5 months no matter what I do. Nothing works. I can put on a bajillion sweaters, take boiling hot showers, snuggle under blankets made from the warmest sheep, or any combination of the three, but my hands will remain as ice blocks.

The really awful thing about this is that buildings in Temecula are NOT designed for this season. The air vents are approximately 9 feet in the air so that any warm air coming out of them remains in the far reaches of my much sought after high ceilings. The beautiful fireplace burns large quantities of fuel, sending every bit of energy straight up the chimney. At least in Northern Minnesota, I could sit on the heated floors, in front of the very effective fireplace and reach some level of warmth. Here, I just stay cold until summer returns with its 100+ degree temperatures. Ugh.

Wait. It gets worse. This afternoon I decided that it was silly for me to freeze my hiney off just to save a little money when I am busting my hiney to earn said money. I marched resolutely over to the thermostat, flipped it on and waited for the whirrrrr of the heater that would bring Mikey thundering into the living room demanding to know what I was thinking (hehe...not really, but that was a fun, descriptive sentence, wasn't it?). Unfortunately, neither of these things happened. After poking and prodding with the same results as a couple of irate monkeys, we learned that the air conditioner was working just fine, but the heat was completely non-responsive. Mikey has been commissioned to call SOMEONE, ANYONE, tomorrow to get that fixed ASAP.

I know. My life is a Shakespearean tragedy. Feel free to send me sympathy, heater repair money and/or long underwear.

PS - Yes, I know that I am a pathetic excuse for a Northern Minnesotan. Why do you think I live in CALIFORNIA??
PPS - Yes, this is meant to be a humorous post. No, Dad, I don't really need heater repair money. Although I would most definitely use the long underwear.

No comments: