Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Personal Quirks

I like to talk just as much as the next parrot, but talking to adults (especially parents of my students) makes me break out into a cold sweat. It is amazing. You could have me walk into a room of 100 kids and I wouldn't be fazed. I would be able to entertain them for quite some time and not panic once. On the other hand, if you ask me to give a presentation to a small group of adults and give me a week to prepare it and make sure I have everything I need, I will STILL freak out about it. I have a nearly unquestioned faith in my ability to communicate with kids and an mind-bending lack of confidence in my ability to share information with adults. I do just fine with it. I can't remember the last time I had a serious problem with a presentation given to adults but that continues to be one of the most nervewracking things I have to do. Contrast that with my willingness to get confused, say the wrong work, er word, or just plain make a mistake in front of kids. As my students like to say, "I don't get it."

No comments: