Thursday, November 27, 2003

But I'm on Vacation!!

It's really not fair. Last night, or rather early this morning, I had a double serving of nightmares.

It all started with a bizarre little dream involving myself, my brother, an old pickup truck and the driveway plow. We couldn't figure out why the pickup was handling so poorly until we looked behind us and realized that we hadn't disengaged the grader. It was dragging along behind us. We both knew we were going to be in trouble. A co-worker of mine suddenly arrived and gave us a ride to school.

That evolved into one of my regular work nightmares. I was in my class and I couldn't control them. I couldn't get them to stop talking. I was about to start sending kids to the office when in walks another co-worker and he totally took over. It was like he KNEW I had no control over my room and he just took it away from me. As soon as he walked in the door, the whole class snapped to attention. I looked at them in shock and said, "Why?? Why now?" Then, I crawled around the room, cleaning up little things that were littering the floor and sobbing quietly to myself while he conducted a wonderful, engaging lesson about ecosystems.

Finally, the co-worker left and I had the kids go out in the hall to wash their hands (he had served them french fries and ketchup at some point and they were all sticky) while I gathered the dirty paper plates into the trash. I realized that my class was in the hall with no supervision, so I started out the door. Just then, the guy in charge of my first year teacher training came in. I thought he was going to ask where my class was, but instead he asked if I had seen a particular person. I said no and he told me to let him handle everything. By this time I was scared and demanding that he tell me what was going on. All he would say is, "I'm sure it was an accident. I'm sure he didn't mean it." Then he told me that he was going to take me to the emergency room to see my brother's mom (that is how he said it, "your brother's mom") who had been hurt by the other person. I swayed against the wall and crumpled to the floor, moaning. As I was waking up, I noticed that my class was still watching me.


It isn't fair for me to be having nightmares now. I am on vacation! I am NOT stressed. Also, both of the underlying issues of these nightmares are things that I thought had been somewhat settled. Obviously, my subconscious has yet to get the memo. I'm sure there are some interesting interpretations of these dreams to be had. Maybe I should get me a dream analysis book. Or not. There are some things I don't want to know.

No comments: