Thursday, March 04, 2004

Lesson Learned

All the self help gurus suggest that you set goals that are within your reach (or at least just outside) so you have some chance of reaching them. When I said that I would be home EVERY NIGHT before 5:30, I wasn't thinking about that. Today was the first night since the split that I didn't make it home on time. Although I am disappointed that I didn't even make it a week, I must say there are good reasons for the failure. First, I never should have started this goal during a report card week. There is so much paperwork and computer time that goes into report card week that it just isn't possible to get out early every day. I am impressed that I have managed it as long as I have. Second, they hit me with a surprise deadline a couple of days ago, resulting in some very urgent work this afternoon. There was no putting it off. If I had known earlier, I would have budgetted my time differently, but it doesn't really matter now. Finally, I had homework club this afternoon (an hour long homework session I host each week) and I should have cancelled it. We didn't have much homework this week due to the end of the trimester and I ended up just babysitting them for an hour when I could have been working.

Anyway - that is all past. I am caught up with what I need to do. I am set to do report cards this weekend and get them all done and ready for Wednesday. I can go back to my 5:30 arrival at home again tomorrow. Sigh. I do wish I could have at least made it a week, though.

No comments: