Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Read-A-Thon

My school is having a read-a-thon for the next month. Since the first two weeks coincide with my break, I have decided to participate. I told my kids that I was going to take part for the first two weeks (once school starts up again, I won't be reading much), and I challenged them to try to read more than me. They get the full four weeks to read, of course. They all know that I am an avid reader and that I plan to read for my whole vacation.

I saw one of my students in the grocery store the other day and she asked me how many pages I had read. When I told her I was up to about 160, she laughed and said "I'm beating you! I've read 200!" Her mom scolded her for being rude, but I told her I was thrilled she was taking my challenge seriously. After five days of reading, I am already up to 652 pages, and that was only reading in-between outings with my father. My goal is to reach 2,000 pages or more.

Being that it is a read-a-thon to raise money for our school library, there is more to it than just reading. I also challenged the students to raise more money than I can. (This is the part I am no good at!) Sponsors can pledge either a flat rate, or add some extra motivation and make it per page.

Hamumu Software is sponsoring me for $15.00. If there is anyone else out there who would care to make a pledge, leave a comment or drop me an e-mail and I will give you more information. (All pledges must be paid by April 23.) Every penny will go to improving our elementary school library!

But even more importantly, you will be helping me save my reputation. I talked a lot of smack on the last day of school. And I owe everyone who reads more pages or raises more money a special treat. You gotta help me out!!

No comments: