Friday, March 05, 2004

Somebody's Got to Do It

I am on the search and rescue team for my school site. We are having a full blown disaster drill on Tuesday - complete with students pretending to be hurt and parents trying to sneak in to get their kids. This is my very first official disaster drill and I am terrified. I am glad that I am getting the chance to practice what I would be doing, because right now, I don't have the slightest clue how it would go down. No - that isn't true. I have an idea, because we have walked through it a couple of times, but I have never done the actual physical thing. I know that it is just a drill, but my adrenaline starts pumping at the thought anyway. I just hope that if something were to really happen (knock on wood) that I would be able to do the job. Search and rescue isn't the nicest job (not that there is a NICE job when it comes to disaster recovery), but I know it will be one that will make me feel as though I am doing something helpful. And somebody's got to do it.

No comments: