Saturday, July 13, 2002

from the Topics Blog...What do you do when you're tired, but can't sleep? Do you lie in bed hoping to fall asleep or do you get up and do something?

I HATE not being able to fall asleep. It doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does it is usually when I have something important to get up for in the morning! Anyway, I usually lie there for at least an hour hoping that if I am still enough and keep my eyes closed long enough I will fall asleep. If that doesn't work then I get up and go online, watch tv or read. Each of these things distracts me from whatever is keeping me awake and allows me to eventually go back to bed and fall asleep. Unfortunately, my problem is rarely not being able to fall asleep. More often I wake up a gazillion times during the night. I am sleeping and I wake up enough to roll over, fix the blankets and/or pillows as needed and check the clock. Doesn't sound like much, but when you do it every hour it really disrupts your sleep. I haven't figured out a way to stop this from happening, but I have learned that it is not a good idea to look at the clock. I avoid it whenever possible. That way I don't stay awake thinking about how few hours or minutes I have left! I am a glutton for sleep!

No comments: