Wednesday, July 10, 2002

I spent the day with Kaitlyn and Allystar, my two babysitting charges. It is interesting to see the gaping difference between the ages of 6 and 12. Kaitlyn is still spending her time coloring pictures and watching Nick Toons and chatting with me (any new adult is a great person to talk to!). While outside with the neighborhood kids she made a "nature collection" consisting of rocks and sticks and small bugs and leaves in a plastic bag. She was totally into it. Allyster, as part of the pre-teen population of the block, was much more interested in the other kids, especially the girls. There are about 6 pre-teens that get together and flirt with each other. It took me awhile to realize that is what they were doing. Because to me it looked like they were throwing twigs in each other's hair, chasing each other, shouting insults and generally doing things that made me want to say "knock it off". But I didn't because I didn't want to disrupt the delicate learning process! They are so funny at that age. And scary because I know it is just a little while until they pass out of that innocent stage into something much more exciting and much more dangerous!

No comments: