Sunday, July 07, 2002

This is from the Alt. Friday Five...I know, I know...I'm late! So sue me!

1. Do you enjoy eating? Why or why not?
Eating is one of my favorite things. I associate it with my mother's cooking, sitting at the dining room table with my family having a lively (often heated) discussion, and celebrations.
2. What are your favorite foods? Why? Are certain feelings or situations associated with the food(s)?
There are so many foods I like! My very favorites include Shrimp Scampi, Potato Salad (my mom's, of course), bread - French, potato and Herb and Olive Oil in particular, grilled salmon, and...raspberries with vanilla ice cream. I associate carrot cake with my birthday because that is what my mom often made (at my request). Macaroni and cheese, rice-a-roni and baked beans or canned corn are comfort foods. I like to eat them all together and carbo load! Frozen dinners, usually Budget Gourmet, mean that I was too lazy to put together a decent meal.
3. What are your least enjoyable foods? Why? Are certain feelings or situations associated with the food(s)?
There are very few things I won't eat. I'm not crazy about yams or sweet potatoes but I will eat them occasionally. I don't like the way peach fuzz sticks to my tongue. I absolutely won't eat an egg unless it is completely fried or scrambled. My mom and my Mikey are the only two people I trust to cook me an egg! Actually, I have a big texture thing. I can't eat anything that has a snotty texture - oysters, eggs with runny yolks, bread pudding. My gag reflex kicks in!
4. What are your comfort foods, the kind that satisify you emotionally when you're stressed? Why?
Like I said above - mac and cheese, rice-a-roni, corn. Also frozen peas, mashed potatoes, pasta. I am a huge fan of carbohydrates! And chicken paprikash with dumplings, because if I am having that I am at home with mom!
5. What food decisions have you made in your life and why did you make them? For example, if you're a vegetarian, how did you decide to make this change in your life?
About 6 months back, I started counting my calories. I was trying to lose weight for my wedding and my health and I set a limit of 1200 calories. That is really not much, but after a couple days of feeling hungry I realized that it was enough to just about satisfy me. After I lost the 25 lbs I was trying to lose, I raised the limit to 1500 and eventually stopped keeping a written record. But it has made me much more conscious of what I am putting in my mouth and why. I realized that most of my eating was triggered my boredom or stress. I still allow myself the occasional pity party with a bag of chips but it is much more controlled. Also, I was raised in a half vegetarian household (dad was, mom wasn't) and as a result I was exposed to lots more vegetables and vegetarian dishes than most kids. I still eat lots of veggies and actually crave them if I haven't eaten enough. Meat is more of a side dish at my house.

No comments: