Wednesday, July 03, 2002

So - at the risk of starting a fight - what do y'all think about the brouhaha over the "Pledge"?? Do you think the words "under God" are offensive? Unconstitutional? Traditional? Important? What do you think about the pledge in general? Why? If you dislike it - what would you prefer? Come on...let's talk!!!

My Opinion

I have never liked the idea of teaching our children to spout of this jumble of words that makes no sense to them. I mean, kindergartners can't even begin to understand the concepts behind this recital and often don't even know what the words really are. It is educational brainwashing at its best. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be American and part of the democratic process. As a letter to the editor in my paper this morning said - it isn't perfect, but it is better than the alternatives. I also think that children do need to be taught to respect our country. After all, if you don't respect it why would you bother to keep it clean or vote or care about the people? So I think respect is important. However, I think it is important to respect people while you are teaching respect! Including the word "God" instantly makes many people uncomfortable. Yes, it is a small fraction of students in a class. Yes, they can just not say the pledge. Yes, this has become a traditional part of the school day. Yes, we could just let it go. But that is, fundamentally, unconstitutional. Unless we change the pledge somehow to include all forms of religion or anti-religion, it is not allowed. My preference? I really like the song "America, the Beautiful". I like how it celebrates the one thing we all can agree on - the beauty of America in all its different forms. It encourages children to respect the land, rather than the politics and factions. It doesn't exclude anyone. And it is fairly easy to sing! In my classroom, I am not going to require children to say the pledge. I am going to teach them "America, the Beautiful" instead. So there you go. My humble opinion on this exciting topic. Now it's your turn...what do you think?

No comments: