Thursday, July 04, 2002

I have become a fan of Linkin Park. I like the sound of it and they have meaningful, if angst filled, lyrics. I think I would have really enjoyed them as a teenager! I was into angst filled music then. These days I relate more to the cheerful, romantic stuff (like Dido) but I am still drawn to Mikey's Linkin Park cd from time to time. I mean...just listen...

"i tried so hard
and got so far
but in the end
it doesn't even matter
i had to fall
and lose it all
but in the end
it doesn't even matter"
- In The End

or this...
"do i trust some
and get fooled by phoniness,
or do i trust nobody
and live in loneliness?
because i can't hold on
when i'm streched so thin
i make the right moves
but i'm lost within"
- By Myself

I think it is important as a teen to feel that there are others out there who are feeling as badly or worse than you are. I know that I was often wrapped up in self-pity but listening to Allanis or one of my other "angry" cd's would somehow make me feel better. To be able to sing those lyrics and listen to that powerful beat (the Crow soundtrack was great for that!) was a wonderful outlet for me. I remember blasting my stereo and throwing my stuffed animals against the wall as hard as I could (don't worry, they volunteered for the mission) and feeling so much better afterwards! I am so glad I'm not 17 anymore! I just laugh when people say that "those are the best years of your life". And I tell my students (if they are old enough to be hearing it) that those are NOT the best years...that it gets SO MUCH BETTER. Imagine never being any happier than you are as a scared, confused, hormone-ridden teen with no control over your own life. Ugh. Don't ever tell your kids that it doesn't get better than that!

Okay...enough ranting. My house smells delicious! Naan with sweet onion on top is baking in the oven. Lovely!

No comments: