Friday, November 08, 2002

Ode to my Mom

It was my mother's birthday yesterday. It had me thinking about how wonderful she is. My mom is and always has been one of my best friends. She has been my biggest cheerleader, my strongest supporter, my closest confidant for my entire life. My mother taught me how to cook, how to care for a garden, how to take care of animals, how to wrap a present, how to hold a baby. My mom raised me with large doses of love, respect, trust and honesty. She cooked four of us kids gourmet meals, doctored us through colds, and kept us safe and happy - all while working her way through medical school. She cares passionately about the welfare of her fellow humans. She has a sense of humor with a wicked edge, but she never uses it against others. I have laughed, cried, celebrated and mourned with her. She has been there for every big event in my life - my birth, my 3rd grade halloween party, my first boyfriend, my college graduation, my wedding - she was a major part of it all. She is my mommy and I love her. If everyone had a mom as wonderful as my mom, the world would be a much better place. I love you, Mom. Happy Birthday.

No comments: