Friday, November 22, 2002

Taken from LJFF...

1. Did you enjoy school as a child/teen? If enrolled in some educational program, do you enjoy it now? Why or why not?

I think I liked school. As I have said before, I have only a limited number of hazy memories of my early years so it's hard to say for sure. I know that I have always enjoyed teaching and I think it is hard to do that without enjoying the learning process too. I do remember that I was a lazy student in my childhood/teen years. I got by with as little work as possible. College, however, was a different story. I put a lot of effort into my college learning, probably because I wanted to be the best damn teacher I could be. Currently, I am on the educator (as opposed to educatee?) side and loving it. It is my calling.

2. What were/are your favorite subjects in school? Why?

Science was fun. I like hands on things. And I always liked the reading parts the best. Mostly because it was fun and easy for me. Writing was harder, but I still enjoyed it.

3. What were/are your least favorite subjects in school? Why?

I hated math with a fiery passion. I don't like feeling stupid and that is how I always felt after about 10 minutes of math. I was totally uninterested in social studies or history until my junior year of high school when "Super G" made his world history class fun and meaningful.

4. What subject surprised you? In other words, which subject did you dread taking, then found you later enjoyed or had an aptitude for? Did that influence your life? If so, how?

Remember how I hated math? In college I was required to take a Logics class. I was sure it was going to be impossible and frustrating. Turns out I have a fairly logical mind. I loved the class and did very well in it. After finishing that math class with an "A" I had to re-evaluate my ability to deal with all math. It really boosted my self-esteem in that area. Even tho I am still slow, at least I know I can do it. Well, most of it. : )

5. Have you ever cheated in school? If so, why did you do it? If not, were you ever presented with an opportunity to cheat? Why didn't you cheat? Would you ever consider cheating now?

I don't remember ever copying someone else's work or using crib notes on a test or anything. I didn't cheat because I really wanted to know the information. I wanted to learn and (at least by my college years) realized that I would be learning if someone else did the work. I did cut corners sometimes. One assignment for my Nutitional Living class in college required us to keep track what we ate and what physical activity we did for a week and then do all kinds of nutritional analysis based on that information. I didn't even think about the assignment until 2 days before it was due. I did the analysis from completely fraudulent, made up on the spot numbers. Fortunately, I am a good BSer because not only didn't I get caught, but the teacher commended me on my excellent work, saying it was the best in the class. I felt a little guilty.

No comments: