Thursday, October 07, 2004

Hehehe

Did I tell you about the altercation I had with the a co-worker? I didn't think so. It is now a three part story.

Part One
This is the part where I am asking said co-worker for assistance with a problem. She very clearly does not wish to assist me, but offers to take my problem anyway. I tell her that I will figure it out and give her the paper she needs later. Something in the way I say this (I honestly don't know what) prompts her to say, "Don't you look at me that way, Young Lady" in her snippiest voice. I give her a surprised look and walk away, baffled.

Part Two
This is the part where I return to give the co-worker the paper she needs, having solved my problem on my own. I take a moment to tell her that I am sorry if I did anything to upset her before, but that I would really appreciate her not refering to me as "Young Lady", as I work very hard to present a professional, adult appearance. Since she had said, "Good girl" when I handed her the fixed problem, and accused me of talking down to her on several occasions, I have little hope that this will actually change anything. At least I let her know that I wasn't going to just sit back and take her rudeness.

Part Three
This is the part where I learn that she spent several minutes after I left (way back in Part One) complaining about me to anyone withing listening range. Hehe. I just wish I could have heard what she was complaining about, because I truly don't know what I did to set her off.

I never felt particularly close to this co-worker, but I always thought we had a decent relationship. I guess I was wrong. Or maybe she's just having problems with something else and her frustration came out at the wrong time. Whatever it is, I confronted it and I am moving on. I continue to smile and tell her good morning when I see her, but I no longer go to her for help unless absolutely necessary. (She's in a position that makes it necessary to interact with her fairly regularly.)

No comments: