Sunday, October 03, 2004

PSA #134

How to Clean Your Blinds or Just Give Up Now

Yes, dear readers, I am here once again with some household tips to make your life a little easier. Why should you have to suffer when I have already learned handy tricks the hard way? So, here it is, everything you need to know about cleaning your blinds.*

1. Don't. Toss them and buy new ones. Really. It's not worth it. No, seriously. Life is too short for this kind of thing.

2. If you happen to have one of those financially aware, reality based people in your house who oppose this idea, have them try cleaning one set. Chances are they will come to their senses before they are half-way through and agree with you. Then go back to step 1.

3. If said person, for whatever reason ("I'm fine with them staying dirty."**), doesn't agree with you, I suggest hiring a maid, pawning the job off on your kids, or moving.

4. If all else fails, remember this one thing. Dry dust first. Brush that 1/4 inch layer of dust off BEFORE you indroduce anything liquid to the situation. If you forget this vital step, you will find yourself trying to wipe MUD off the blinds, which is something even I can't help you with.

* Please note that all advice is for those who clean house like me. I keep things neat on the surface and deep clean MAYBE once every couple of years. If you are one of those people who dusts regularly, this isn't the advice column for you.

** For the record, although Mikey would never allow me to just throw our blinds out and start over, he WOULD help me clean them. He would never leave me high and dry, stranded in a house with dirty blinds, no matter how little he cares.

No comments: