Thursday, October 28, 2004

In Print

The Article was published today. On the front page of section B in our local paper was a whole column about my, my kidney, and my class. The kids were thrilled.

...a group of fourth graders at...

"HEY! That's us! We're in the paper!"

The article was well written and accurate. The author, John Hunneman, always takes a very humane, thoughtful approach to his stories and this was no exception. He listened carefully to what I said and brought out (what I think to be) the most important aspects of the whole situation. I was particularly happy to see that he quoted me as saying,

"One of the reasons I wanted to become a teacher was to have an effect on people's lives...Maybe this will teach my students it's important to be nice to each other and help each other. Maybe this will help them learn there is more to life than big cars and Nintendo."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Oh, wait...

BTW - I saved a copy of the article for myself and one for each household that contains a parental unit. I will either mail them to you, or (more likely given the number of things I have to do) bring them to MN with me and pass them on in person.

No comments: