Monday, October 18, 2004

The Patient

but boy have I seen a lot of doctors today! This is my first day of testing and I have been running all over the mazes of halls that make up Mayo Clinic and it's affiliates. I have had an ECG, blood tests, renal function tests (where you have to pee on command), consultations, and all kinds of waiting.

The one thing I have not had time for was eating. The other thing I have not had time for is sleeping. I am hungry and tired and ready to take a nap. No such luck. I have to have a chest x-ray in about an hour and then meet with the psychologist at 3. I will be able to rest a bit until 6 pm, when I have to take a powerful laxative to get me ready for tomorrow's tests. It will be a blast. Figuratively. I hope.

I am currently looking like I have serious problems because I have a BP cuff attached to my arm and a little machine in a bag strung around my neck. It will be taking my BP every 10 minutes for the rest of the day and every 20 minutes during the night. It doesn't hurt or anything, but I have to stop what I am doing and stand still when it starts to do its thing. Sometimes this happens at inopportune times.

My cousin has been here having some bloodwork today as well, although she is on her way home now. She really isn't feeling very good lately and I know she would like to get this transplant done as soon as possible. So far everything is pointing that way. (Oops...have to pause to get my arm squeezed! ... Okay, I'm back) One of the doctors told me that I was "in perfect health, a perfect donor" and so far all the tests have come out great. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

I am keeping a more thorough journal on the lap-top (this daily journaling has become a habit, I think), and I will be sure to fill you in on more details when I have more time. For now, I want to give Mikey a chance to do some surfing before our time runs out. Ciao!

PS - You wouldn't believe the ways my name has been butchered today! :)

No comments: