Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Rambles

Interesting things from today...

1. We had a great presentation at our staff development today. The guy was there talking about utilizing the "40 Developmental Assets" to improve self-esteem and motivation in schools. It was nice to see research that supports my use of class time to build relationships rather than focusing entirely on test results and standards. Unfortunately, this isn't the outlook that the district seems to take. We are informed in subtle (and not-so-subtle) ways that the test scores are all that matter. I wonder how long it will take for them to decide they don't like my resistance to this teaching style.

2. As part of our staff development, we had to do one of those "run-around-and-get-signatures-from-people-because-they-can-do/say-specific-things" games. One of the signatures you needed was from someone who does volunteer work. About 7 different people specifically sought me out for this, saying things like, "Ooh! I know YOU volunteer!". That made my day.

3. I had a heartbreaking conversation with a co-worker about how the evils perpetrated on you in childhood can continue to haunt you even as an adult. Especially in your sleep. I had a wonderful childhood with very few yucky things to deal with, but I know all too well how those inner demons can creep out into your dreams. I couldn't fix her problem, but I was able to listen. I hope it helped.

No comments: