Friday, April 09, 2004

Based on a Real Life Story

I have been worrying about my classroom plants for a couple days now. I have a small garden made up of assorted house plants - a spider plant, an ivy, and others I can't name. Spread around my classroom, they add a touch of nature. Each week, it becomes one student's job to water the plants every other day. Usually, I end up doing it after they all go home. Anyway, they have been in my classroom for more than a week with noone to water them or talk to them. Tonight I went to gather them up and bring them home. I wanted to give them water and, as a reward for surviving such a challenging environment, bigger pots and fresh soil.

Mikey and I arrived at the school while the cleaning crew was there - somewhat of a relief, as it meant I didn't have to fumble with the security system. Walking towards my class, I heard the familiar sounds of Dido floating down the hall. My first thought of "I like this song." was followed quickly by "Hey...is that coming from MY room?" and then "That is MY CD playing!" As we walked into the room - door open, lights on, stereo cranked to full volume - a young man with a guilty look came in.

"Is this your room? I was just in here cleaning." He stumbled over his words, trying to explain away what he knew was a blatant invasion of my property.

"Yeah." I smiled weakly. Inside I was fuming. I guess I was fuming on the outside too, because he mumbled something about hoping I didn't mind and left, shutting the door behind him.

I wandered around the room, gathering my plants. Every once in a while I stopped to adjust a desk or wipe a counter, like a cat rubbing against a leg that has been away from home. I felt invaded, violated, as though someone had come into my house and rearranged my bookshelves. He cleaned the carpets while he was there, but the fact remains that my belongings had been touched without permission. Moved. Played.

Before leaving, I turned the music back on, cranked it up and propped the door open. We passed the same young man on the way out and I stopped. "Will you make sure that you turn it off before you go, please?"

"I won't go back in." He stood defensively, subtly letting me know that I had no right to be angry. His posturing upset me.

"It's no problem. But you have to understand..." I explained the "stranger in my house" feeling. I know that I am walking into dangerous territory here. It is never a good idea to piss off your cleaning crew. Thirty-two kids can make a big mess of a room. Every day. However, I felt compelled to explain my reaction, which he obviously saw as irrational.

"Well," he said, "I am an employee for the district and YOU are an employee and that stereo IS district property."

My whole point was lost on him. And now there is the possiblity that my classroom will not be vacuumed for the rest of the year. All because I wanted to give my plants a little TLC. Which they got, by the way. They are all lounging happily in their roomy new pots on the front porch railing.

No comments: