Monday, April 26, 2004

Support your Teachers

Buy Books From Scholastic Book Orders and Scholastic Book Fairs!!!

Last week, we had a book fair set up in our multi-purpose room all week long. Kids spent their allowance, and probably some of their lunch money, on books and book related paraphernalia. Parents stopped by before, during and after school to get that special treat for the well-deserving son or daughter in their life. Teachers made up wishlists and drooled over beautiful reference books that were way too expensive to buy right now. It was a ton of fun.

Then, this morning, I was handed a sheet of paper informing me that a portion of what we had earned was being split among the teachers to spend as they wished. I got to buy $184 worth of books for my classroom. I got not just ONE big wonderful, hardcover reference book, but TWO! I got novels and biographies and stories about living in the wilderness. I got classics and award-winners and never-before-heard-of books. I found books about dolphins, kittens, basketball stars, famous ships and American heroes. I walked away with a grocery bag stuffed to the gills and I can hardly wait to see the looks on the faces of my darling students when they see all the new reading material they will have access to.

All because their parents were willing to spend a little money at the school book fair to get books for home. :) Everybody wins.

No comments: