Saturday, June 14, 2003

Despite my plans to sleep in, I woke up at 6:30 this morning. I had visions of my classroom's cupboards dancing through my head and it was not a pretty site. After fighting it for 30 minutes or so, I gave in to fate and my compulsive drive to clean. By 7:30, I was in my classroom happily cleaning out my art supply cupboard. I have no idea (remember - this is actually my partners classroom which she now shares with me) how long those paint cups were in there filled with crusty paint, but they are clean now. The paint is organized (Yes, it IS in rainbow order. Do you have a problem with that??), the brushes are sorted by size, and the 3 mostly empty jars of liquid starch have been consolidated into one.

I then moved on to the paper and office supplies area. I got my construction paper organized (Yep, rainbow order again! In both places. I'm nothing, if not consistant.) I inventoried what I had so that I could start ordering for next year. I put things together in a way that makes sense, so that I don't have to go digging through every shelf to find what I am looking for. Cooking supplies and eating supplies on one shelf. Paper on another. Craft supplies on yet another. I counted the pencils, pens, markers, crayons, scissors, tape, colored pencils, chalk, rulers, glue bottles...etc.

I was there until noon and when I left it felt good to see things looking neat and tidy. There hasn't been a lot of neat and tidy in our room for the last month. It's just not possible with all the end of the year stuff going on. As much as I am going to miss my kiddos, I am not going to miss the mess and clutter that inevitably follows their every movement.

No comments: