Friday, June 13, 2003

Mark Walberg is SO on the list of actors I like. And not just because of the pleasant eye-candy, either. We saw "The Italian Job" tonight and I really enjoyed it. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good action flick with some suspence and good natured humor thrown in. It was just what I was looking for this evening.

Today was a good day. Our last full day of school before summer break. Next week we have modified (dismissed at 1:15 rather than 3:15) days on Monday and Tuesday, but those hardly count. We have turned in all our books, cleaned our desks, had our party, and exchanged our phone numbers. Next week is going to be filled with movies and games and outside free time. We are all ready for it and we have all earned it. Teachers and students alike.

Anyway, back to today. This morning we had a "Reading Galaxy" party. We reached a school-wide reading goal, so the kids got to bring books and beach towels and we spent the whole morning reading and listening to stories outside. A reading beach party, if you will. In the desert. : ) Then we had a pizza party for lunch, complete with soda - a rare treat at school these days.

After lunch, we had a carnival in the quad between the 3rd grade classes. The parent volunteers did everything - planning, organizing, buying, setting up, running the games and activities, and even clean up afterwards. That left us teachers free to play with our kids, something we don't get to do nearly enough. A couple of us even got to participate in an intense waterfight with some students. I got a daisy painted on my face, ate cotton candy and a watermelon sno-cone, and took lots of pictures. It was a blast.

I am really gonna miss these kids. As I looked around the carnival I saw plenty of kids getting themselves into trouble. But none of them were from my class. In the last few days I have really seen how sweet and good-natured my class is. Not perfect, by any means, but top notch. It's going to be hard to see them go on Tuesday. This is my first batch of "real" students. I got pretty lucky with them. And the best part is, they have been telling me for some time now how much they are going to miss me, too. I think I truly bonded with these kids. I think I even managed to make a difference for a few of them. Like I told a greatful mom this morning, that's what it's all about. That's what I do. I love what I do. I can't wait till next year!

No comments: