Saturday, June 28, 2003

Every once in a great while I manage to avoid sticking my foot in my mouth. Today was one of those rare and lucky days. I was asked to fill in at the volunteer run bookstore attached to our public library this afternoon. I do this a couple times a month and usually end up working the same shift with a very nice, very chatty, little old lady. I didn't recognize her right away and was seconds away from saying something like "Helen, you look so different! Did you do something with your hair?" when I realized that she had, indeed, done something with her hair. Where she previously had a whispy, white, see-through-to-the-scalp hairdo she now had a thick, luxurious, golden wig. I closed my mouth, sending up a word of thanks to whatever being was watching over me that day and went over to help someone. After dealing with my customer I went over, gave her a hug and told her she was "looking good".

No comments: