Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Last Day of School

So after months of molding and teaching and prompting and scolding and loving and fixing and worrying and hoping and coaxing and curbing and prodding, I have finally sent my 19 little darling 3rd graders home for the last time. They are now enjoying their summer vacation (until they get bored - should be about 24 more hours before that sets in) and when I next see them they will be someone else's darling 4th graders.

I worry about this group. They, as a whole, are a little less mature and a little more impulsive than usual. They need a little more hand-holding. They have a little less structure and stability in their home lives and they have dealt with a little more than they should have. These kids need extra special teachers who are willing to give them a little more attention and love. It's going to be hard for them to adjust to having 31 other students to compete with instead of just 19. I worry.

I just hope that we have done enough this year. I hope that we have given them enough of a foundation to build on. That we have given them enough courage to face new challenges. Enough pride in their ability. Enough strength to work hard. Enough love to keep them happy. I gave them all I had. Did they need more?

No comments: