Thursday, May 23, 2002

I am reading the COOLEST book right now. It is so powerful and I am really enjoying the author's descriptions and word choice. It is a sad, angry book about Florida in the 1950's, with all its racial implications - murder, Klan, bombings, etc. I had never thought of Florida as a racist, southern state but I guess it was right up there at the top of that list! Just one more reason to hate Florida! Anyway, the book is called "Lay that Trumpet in our Hands" and it is written by Susan Carol McCarthy. It is a novel but it came from an 8 page letter that her father wrote her - describing things that happened and his own connection to them, so it is supposed to be very historically accurate. It talks about Thurgood Marshall and Harry Tyson Moore. And the whole thing is told from the perspective of a 13 year old girl who grew up in Florida in a very liberal, northern family. The whole book is just wonderful so far...I am about 2/3 through...and I strongly recommend it to anyone. It is a very quick, easy read as far as language, but it is just so DEEP. Like I said before...powerful. Read it.

No comments: