Friday, May 31, 2002

Today I was in a 3rd grade classroom. I like to play a game called "If" in any downtime that occurs. I ask an open ended question starting with "If..." and each child has a chance to answer if they want to. (Ex. "If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would you choose?") I actually have a book with lots of these questions in it but it is more fun to explain it and then let the kids come up with questions. They love it. Not only do they get to talk about themselves and their feelings and opinions, but everyone in the room is listening while they do it! Very few (usually the REALLY shy ones) choose not to participate. I usually ask them to explain their answers and try to give some brief feedback. It is a great way to have a moment of one on one time with each child. Even tho it is short, they thrive on it. Try it sometime when you have time to kill and a bunch of kids (or even just one) to entertain!

No comments: