Sunday, May 26, 2002

Speaking of broken communication...

My best friend from high school is getting married in a little over a month. This was one of those relationships that are just too good to describe. There I was, a freshman in high school and feeling very alone and feaky. There were no girls that I could really relate to. I could talk with them but there were no soul mates. Then one day I was walking down the hall and saw this new girl. My very first thought was "It is SO good to see her again. I have missed her." I had never seen her before. (Has this ever happened to any of you? This immediate recognition of a kindred? It has happened to me many times.) Within days she was my closest friend and we stayed that way thru graduation. But as often happens, we went seperate ways and neither of us was good about keeping in touch.
Anyway, I wrote her a little wedding card and it just wasn't enough. I ended up writing a 4 page letter telling her about the basics in my life and asking about hers. And telling her what a lifesaver she was to me in high school. All despite the fact that I know it isn't going to make us best friends again. And that makes me sad.

No comments: