Friday, May 31, 2002

There is nothing so scary as a late night phone call. I have received enough of them in the past year that I have become desensitized to a certain extent. But the one last night was scary. Largely because it was bad news. My mom called to let me know that there was a fire happening on our property. Luckily, no one was hurt and none of the buildings were damaged but I was shaken. Fire is one of my biggest fears. It isn't debilitating, I can still cook and enjoy a bonfire and whatnot, but I always have a primal, caveman-like fear just below the surface. It is so hot and alive. And it is one of the natural disasters that can not only damage your belonging, but actually make them cease to exist. You can pick up te pieces after and earthquake or a tornado but after a fire you have to sweep up the ashes and start over. I was frightened. But last I heard the fire was nearly out and everything was okay. *deep sigh of relief*

No comments: