Monday, May 27, 2002

Memorial Day. This day has never really meant much to me. I suppose I should be ashamed to admit that, but I don't feel like I am the only one guilty of this crime. My whole generation has grown up not knowing what it was like to be in a war (and no, I don't think the "Gulf War" counts). This is a good thing, but it makes us take our homes and our cars and our freedoms and our friends and our lives for granted. We don't feel strongly about this day because very few of us know anyone who has died fighting for our country.

This is a particularly hard holiday for me because I am vehemently against war and fighting in general. As I repeat over and over in the daycare..."use your words, not your hands". I understand that there are bullies out there who are not going to respond to discussion and rational attempts to solve problems, but I truly think that as a society, hell - as a world, we are too quick to back our words up with big sticks. So it is hard for me to justify celebrating war in any way. However, just because our leaders and government brainwash us into thinking that the only way out is guns and violence, doesn't mean that the men and women who volunteered to risk their lives (so that I can sit in my beautiful home, typing on my new laptop, discussing how strongly I disagree with our government) shouldn't be thanked and honored. Does that make any sense? It is a very thin line and one that I have a hard time balancing on.

Anyway, don't forget that today is more than a BBQ holiday. Go out and thank a veteran. And then pray to whatever deity you choose that someday we will have no need for a day like this. Peace be with you.

No comments: