Saturday, January 18, 2003

Friday Five is up...

1. Where do you currently work?
I work at Helen Hunt Jackson Elementary. It is a public school here in SoCal. I am a 50% 3rd grade teacher with a class of 20 students. I work Wed., Thurs. and Fri. most weeks.

2. How many other jobs have you had and where?
Hhhmmm...in no particular order, I have worked as a filing clerk, a babysitter (many times), the director of a youth play, a tutor (x4), a waitress, a deli counter clerk (x2), a hotel maid, a cafeteria worker, a dishwasher, a caretaker of disabled adults, a summer school teacher, a preschool teacher, a substitute teacher, and a real teacher. I have worked in Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Jersey, and California. Many of these jobs I really enjoyed. Some of them I truly hated. A couple gave in insight that I wish I didn't have. (Do YOU know what if feels like to slice headcheese on a meat slicer? *shudder*)

3. What do you like best about your job?
I like getting to know my students and building a trusting, caring relationship with them. I like providing these kids with an adult that they can trust. Many of them don't get that anywhere else.

4. What do you like least about your job?
I don't like having to deal with the politics of teaching. When things are going well, everyone gets along and it's great. When there is a problem, schools split in a million ways - parents against teachers, teachers against administration, upper grades against lower grades, individuals against individuals. Everything you say becomes a weapon to be used in someone's favor. You have to watch yourself very carefully.

5. What is your dream job?
I'm livin' it, baby!!

No comments: