Saturday, January 11, 2003

Sorry for the dearth. Work days, you know.

The previous post was a combination of seeing the sunset as I drove home from work and thinking about a conversation I had with my 3rd grade team members at our grade level meeting on Wednesday. 7 teachers in a room and none of us able to satisfactorily explain what a metaphor is. Sad isn't it. I am proud to say that *I* did know...but ashamed to say that I was less than 100% sure and so unable to convince the others that I was right. After much discussion and research into many books, it was finally proven that the new girl DID know what she was talking about. : )

Why did we have such trouble? Metaphors aren't in the 3rd grade curriculum. Similes are...and they all KNEW what those were...but metaphors are 4th grade. Elementary teachers sometimes suffer from a bit of tunnel vision I am finding.

No comments: