Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Last night the boys ("J1" and "J2") and I finished reading "My Side of the Mountain". For the last couple months I would read a chapter or so after they were tucked into bed. Last night we were so eager to finish the book that I started reading at 8:30 and didn't stop until it was all done, around 10:00. It really pleases me that they are that interested in a written story. Instead of playing Nintendo ("J2" literally chose the story over Donkey Kong!) or watching a stupid movie, they were lying in the dark imagining the life of Sam Gribley of the Catskill Mountains. They were picturing the forest that he lived in, imagining the snow storms, hearing the birds and the wind. They were thinking! And they didn't even realize it. I love it. Next week we are starting "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. If you haven't read it and you are interested in child psychology, science fiction, aliens, politics, the peace/war debate, or even just sibling rivalry...this is the book for you! The "J1" has already read it on my suggestion and liked it so much that he wants to hear it again right away. Good, good, good.

***Don't read the first review of "Ender's Game" unless you want a spoiler for the story.***

No comments: