Sunday, January 04, 2004

Because I Can't Stop Myself

I know that it is a mistake to discuss politics here. First, because none of my faithful readers are interested. Second, because it is practically begging for some troll to come spewing violence and curse words all over my blog. However, for reasons mentioned in the title, I have some things to say.

I have no doubt that there are people in the world who hate us. They probably have elaborate plans on how to bring us to our knees and collections of weapons they feel are capable of doing so. I know that these people wouldn't hesitate to kill little old me if it would further their beliefs or their plan. This knowledge has nothing to do with race, religion or politics. These are certainties that come from being part of the human race.

I am just as certain that our beloved government has NO FREAKIN' CLUE how to stop them. Their actions for the past several years have been those of a bully, a spoiled brat and a frightened child all wrapped up in one. They tell us what they want us to hear, cover up what they don't and trust us to trust them, despite decades of knowing better. They know that we will believe whatever The Media feeds us provided it is done with the right catch-phrases and blinking headlines, the right mixture of panic and "we shouldn't be telling you this, but...".

Speaking of which, I would trust my 2 year old nephew to pass on information before I would trust The Media in this country - heck, in the whole world. Especially the up and coming source - the Blogosphere. This makes me sad, because I had great hopes for bloggers to rise up and tell things like they were. However, being human, we rarely wait to find out how things really are before we start spouting off our mouths. Instead of creating a medium that shares the truth - we have created yet another medium for the gossip and propaganda the government wants us to hear. (Please understand this is a generalization. I know there are many who research and think before they write. They are in the minority.)

I'm not saying that I have the answers. I don't. I have no idea how to solve the worlds problems or ensure the safety of everyone who deserves protecting. I am not saying that I know who is right or who is wrong. I am just saying that I am not going to be one of the ones who packs up my Bombshelters-R-Us overnight bag and heads for the nearest bunker every time someone shouts "Act of Terrorism!!". In fact, I am not going to let terrorists affect my day-to-day life at all. I am going to live the way I feel I should be living. If that means that I am a fool and I will be among the doomed few still above ground when the final blast hits, so be it. At least I will not end up like Brendan Fraser's character in Blast From The Past, hiding underground as decades of real life pass me by.

So there. Now I will shut up. I would be more than interested to know YOUR thoughts on this topic, but please be civil if you feel compelled to disagree with me.

One more thing - I must add that I do understand that I live in one of the most protected, coddled countries in the world. I am free to say, sing, eat, worship, believe what I want (for now) and I can boldly announce that I will not let terrorism change my day to day life because the chances that it will even try are very small. However, I hope that what I see when I look into my heart of hearts is correct and that I would be saying this same thing no matter where I lived. I have to believe that is true.

No comments: