Sunday, January 18, 2004

Trading Places

A co-worker and I spent about an hour chatting about teaching and the state of education. My biggest concern was the lack of passion when it comes to initiating change. There are many teachers that I know who are truly dedicated to doing what is right for children and who feel that state and district mandates are only leading us further and further astray. However, rather than fighting the good fight and tilting at these mammoth windmills placed in their paths, they either do as they are told or close their classroom doors and do what they want.

This particular co-worker has been teaching since the 70's and has watched this passion fade over time. It was good for me to talk to her - seeing a teacher who feels the same way I do after 20+ years of battling red tape and politics gives me hope. And (I hope) talking to me was good for her - seeing that new teachers are willing to fight for what they think is right instead of just following the leader.

No comments: