Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Some people

In my line of work, I see every kind of parent - the good and the bad. I have seen parents who are barely more than children themselves. I have met parents who push their children much too hard and parents who don't push nearly hard enough. I have heard parents say things that brought tears to my eyes, whether from anger, sorrow or joy. I have dealt with parents who are loving, parents who are scared, parents who are frustrated, parents who are doting, parents who are careless...you name it, and I have seen it. From all of the parents I have seen, I have learned one thing.

Some people are meant to be parents, while some people are not.

My observations of the joys and frustrations of parenting, along with my certainty that some people just don't have what it takes, plays a large role in my own decision to avoid that position myself. I don't know that I have what it takes. I can teach children. I can love children. I can respect children. But I can only do it in short intervals - perhaps 48 hours on the outside. Beyond that - I just don't know. More than 48 hours and they start interfering with travel plans and romantic evenings and my desire to eat nothing but cake for dinner. Perhaps I would be one of those wonderful people who can place their own wishes and desires a step behind those of their children. But PERHAPS I would be one of those parents (the ones I see all too many of) who instead tries to live life exactly as before, resenting every childish distraction. I doubt it. But I am not willing to risk a child's life and happiness on it.

My heroes are the men and women who allow their children to be the most important things in their lives (while not spoiling them, of course) - providing a stable foundation for the youth that are our future. They are willing to face a challenge that still leaves me curled up in a fetal postion under the covers. Kudos to them. In part, it is for them - to support and assist them - that I teach.

This rant was inspired by Wil's lovely description of dinner with his family. As I said, some people are meant to be parents.

No comments: