Saturday, January 24, 2004

Grow Your Own

Just before Christmas, a large box was delivered to our house. On the side it said "Grows Quickly" and "100% Fresh" and "Start Immediately". Upon opening we discovered what looked (and smelled) like a box of manure. A pamphlet contained all the instructions needed to turn the box of manure into our own little mushroom garden. Being a good girl, I followed the instructions.

About a week later, this is what I saw when I took the box down from the cat-safe shelf to apply its daily spritzing.



I decided it was time to harvest the first batch. Don't they look beautiful?



I quickly sliced up the remaining shrooms and tossed them in a pan with some onions and garlic.



Before long...



They were delicious. Although I must admit before tasting the first one, my thoughts flashed to an Agatha Christie story in which the murder weapon was a deadly fungus.



I have made spaghetti twice this week already. I can't get enough. Homegrown mushrooms are bigger and have more mouth feel (yes, I DO watch the cooking channel, why?), and contain more of their own moisture. The second batch of fungi, harvested just last night, were even bigger than the first.

This was probably the most useful, educational, and edible gift I got! Thanks, Mom! :)

No comments: