Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Pass It On

Today the daughter of a co-worker of mine stopped in my classroom to say hello. She does this fairly regularly, allowing me to have all the fun of interacting with a pre-teen without any of the hassles so common with the "black hole" gang. This time we bonded over some Beatles music. She listened to several songs on my "Please, Please Me" album before letting me convince her that if she liked the Beatles, she would like John Lennon.

She listened to Imagine once as she drew on the board. Then she went to the stereo, started it over and listened to it again, this time reading the lyrics and singing along. When it finished for the second time, she looked up and said, "This is the best song ever." She proceeded to listen to it two more times before she had to go home, each time commenting on how cool it was.

It was very cool to watch a member of this up-and-coming generation relate to such a timeless message. I feel like I have passed on something important. Some messages never die.

No comments: