Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Controversy

When I heard about MoveOn.org's 60 second, anti-Bush commercial contest, I was all set to see inflammatory, offensive commercials. Because that is what happens. Then my computer refused to show them (I was missing some vital bit of computer wizardry) so I didn't get to see them at all. Finally today, I got to see the winning commercial. It was not at all what I expected. And it made an excellent statement.

CBS is refusing to air this commercial during the Super Bowl, while giving the go-ahead to a White House sponsered ad. I am not going to shout "Censorship!" and "Special Interests!" because I have been too buried under school work to do the necessary research, but the folks at MoveOn and a few people who's opinions I trust have been hinting at just those things.

Check it out. See what you think. Then do what your conscience moves you to do.

Personally, I think CBS has the right to refuse to run an ad they think will cost them money (through loss of viewers or other advertisers), however I signed the petition to let them know that their decision NOT to run the ad is costing them viewers as well.

No comments: