Saturday, September 11, 2004

Rocking the Boat

Or How to Alienate Your Mother-in-Law in One Quick Step

Last night, we had a birthday party for our little nephew who turned 3 on Thursday. As we were getting dressed, we were talking about how it's important to show your beliefs even in situations where they might not be readily accepted. In fact, that is where they need to be shown the most, otherwise you are just preaching to the choir. So, I decided to wear the t-shirt that says "If your aren't OUTRAGED, you aren't paying attention.". Although it is political, it isn't overtly "liberal". It all depends on your perspective.

Anyway, we got to the in-law's and no one said a word. I changed into my suit and took a dip in the pool (you should see that little boy jump off the diving board!), while preparations were being made. It was only after we left the pool and were sitting around chatting, that the subject of my shirt came up. A friend (hi, I!) commented that she hadn't seen the shirt and my MIL replied something along the lines of "Maybe no one else should see that shirt." This was the point at which I realized that I was treading on thin ice. She had invited another couple (very conservative in their politics) over and she was worried how they would react. My MIL does NOT like confrontation.

After much discussion and speculation ("Does it have cuss words on it?") I put the shirt on. I offered to turn it inside out (it is her house, after all), but since the esteemed friend proclaimed it perfectly alright (thanks, I!), I was allowed to leave it. My FIL arrived and promptly said, "I like your shirt". The other couple arrived and didn't comment at all. Although the rest of us made vague references to it throughout the night ("I am paying attention, and I have noticed that there is no more corn." "You must be outraged!"), there was no heated political battle and no one got hurt. I did get a briefing on the infamous letter, but that turned into a discussion on how you can't trust any media these days - something we all agreed on.

I am afraid I have upset my adorable mother-in-law, though. I hope she can forgive me for daring to have beliefs and, even worse, daring to wear them on my chest.

No comments: