Friday, September 17, 2004

With Flying Colors

I have always done well on tests - partly because I am just a good test taker, and partly because I am driven to succeed. I was one of those kids who asked to take a make-up test if I got a B-. Monday, I took a test for which I was totally unable to prepare. I sat in my chair during the test wishing I had studied more or prepared a bribe for the "teacher" or something that would assure me a passing score. All week, the question of my score sat in the back of my mind, quietly biding its time. Had I passed? Had I even come close? How was I going to handle a failure?

This morning the waiting came to an end when the transplant coordinator called me at about 8:30. As we exchanged pleasantries my brain was fidgeting like a hyperactive 4th grader, dancing around and tugging at our sleeves. She first re-affirmed that we were a blood type match. Then, instead of the "But..." I was so afraid I would hear she said, "And when we did the crossmatch there was no reaction between your blood and hers." No reaction. My heart skipped a beat as I double checked my brain files for what that meant. No reaction = good.

WWWWWWhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Had I been at home I would have been dancing and shouting. As it was, I just gave "D" the thumbs up and a big grin. We finished our conversation and I hung up. No reaction. This was the only test I had ever taken and gotten a score of zero. And I was thrilled.

So suddenly, this kidney transplant thing is a discussion in reality rather than hypotheticals. I need to make some appointments on Monday - one for a 24 hour urine collection here in Temecula and the other for a 2 day battery of tests evaluating the health of my kidneys in Minnesota. Barring any unforseen problems, we will soon be talking transplant. Keep me and my kidneys in your thoughts...

No comments: