Friday, July 16, 2004

CA Dreamin'

We are planning to take a trip to San Luis Obispo, where Mikey spent his college years , to celebrate our second anniversary.  The original plan was to travel by train, bringing our bikes as transportion once we get there.  I liked this idea because
  1. I wouldn't have to drive at all,
  2. using bikes/public transportation is better than using the car, and
  3.  it felt a little like a backpacking trip through Europe - something I would never have the courage to do.
 
We have now decided that we are going to drive afterall.  This is because
  1. the $50 for gas is more affordable than the $200 for the train (although that seemed quite reasonable for two people, roundtrip),
  2. it has been hotter than hell here and I was afraid we would be forced to bike around SLO in 90+ temps.  (we would have, in fact, just sat around our hotel room and that is just a waste of money),
  3. we can stop to visit Mikey's aunt and uncle, who may or may not be happy to see us since Mikey doesn't write them often enough,
  4. it has been long enough that the horrors of being trapped in a car for hours on end have dulled in my memory and I am actually a little enamoured with the idea of listening to travelling music, eating snacks from a cooler, and chatting with my hubby while I sit with my seat reclined and my feet on the dash, and of course,
  5. side-trips, baby!

As you can see, the scaled tipped towards driving ourselves.  Perhaps the train trip will happen another time.  (I also looked into it for my trip to MN, but it would waste too many of days in the travelling.)  I am very excited about seeing this town that Mikey loves so much, as well as getting to have 4 days with him away from The Business.  Hooray for anniversary trips!

No comments: