Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I am an activist!

As I promised myself after watching Fahrenheit 9/11, I have begun to participate in the political life of Temecula.  First, there was the envelope stuffing party, which was fun, but not very active.  It did give me a chance to get to know some people and make my face known to some of them.  I even offered to be in charge of making and maintaining a mailing list on computer.  Very productive of me, doncha think?  :)
 
Last night, I took the next big step.  PeaceWorks sponsored a "community meeting" in hopes of creating a dialogue about the recent rise of hate crimes and racial violence in our area.  It was modeled after the "Not In Our Town" actions of Billings, Montana.  We are calling it "Not In Our Valley".
 
Although the turn-out wasn't huge (probably ~ 50 people), it was incredibly diverse.  The meeting was divided into 3 parts.  First we watched the PBS documentary talking about the original NIOT events.  It was quite inspiring to see so many people come together in one small town.
 
Then, people had a chance to stand up and tell about the problems they are seeing.  We had speakers from all walks of life including the NAACPPFLAG, Muslims, Jews, Hispanics, Special Education teachers, and even an atheist talking about the  discrimination they had dealt with.  Some of the stories were amazing.  We also had a representative from Child Services for one of the school districts, a police officer from the San Diego prison system, and many concerned citizens.
 
Finally, we had a chance to share some of the things that are already being done in an attempt to counteract this violence.  I was in awe of 4 high school seniors who came to tell us about FAD, the group they had founded at their school to Fight Against Discrimination.  Together they wrote and performed skits for middle school classes that approach issues of discrimination and hatred in a humorous and understandable way.  Others talked about the groups they were part of, the churches they attended, and the rallies they had been to.  The peace and love just flowed in that room!
 
Despite the flock of butterflies frantically trying to burst out my chest, I stood up and told them about discussions I have had with my students regarding acceptance and tolerance.  I thanked the other teachers (about a quarter of the group, it seemed) for being there and for everything they are already doing in their classrooms.  At least I think that is what I said.  My heart was pounding so loudly that I couldn't really hear myself.  At any rate, no one threw tomatoes at me.  The high school students even came over afterwards and asked if they could contact me for help with developing skits for performing at elementary schools.  And several of the teachers thanked me for what I had said (whatever that was!).
 
We adjourned the meeting with the plan of meeting next month to form a solid plan of action.  Bumperstickers, rallies, monthly meetings, providing assistance for those who are at risk (for example, an elderly woman who was approached by some young men and their dogs in an intimidating manner and told she wasn't welcome at a city park) - these are the kinds of things we want to do.  If you have ideas for us or stories of things that worked in your town, please let me know. 
 
I am thrilled that I was able to follow through on my promise and I am so energized by the feeling of comraderie and friendship I feel.  It turns out that Mikey and I aren't the only ones who feel the way we do.  It is going to be an uphill battle, but it is one I am ready for!

No comments: