Friday, July 16, 2004

Random Ramblings

We took a mini vacation today.  The in-laws are out of town, and we have been charged with long distance house-sitting.  Basically that means that if something goes wrong, the neighbors will be calling us.  Not too bad.  Plus, we get to use the pool, which is what we did today.  We stopped at the mom-n-pop taco shop that we used to frequent when we lived in that area on our way down, stuffed ourselves to the gills with delicious vegetarian burritoes, and then alternated between swimming, watching movies, and reading.  It was great.
+++
 
Kentucky Fried Movie was beyond silly.  It made me laugh, though.
+++
 
Even though it is a couple hours before my summer bedtime (or perhaps because of the hours of my summer bedtime), my eyes are burning.  It feels like that I-have-been-up-for-36-hours-straight-and-I-just-want-to-lay-down-in-the-middle-of-this-airport-and-go-to-sleep kind of tired.  Although, I suspect that swimming in the pool with my eyes open may have something to do with it.
+++
 
My calf muscles are KILLING me today.  The trainer lady at the gym showed us a series of cool down exercises that include going up to your toes and back down quickly to the count of 30.  Then repeat with heels out and toes touching.  Then repeat with toes out and heels touching.  IT BURNS!  I can never make more than 25 on the last set.  If you try this, make sure you stretch out really well afterwards, otherwise you will get muscle cramps in the night.
+++
 
Our house is overrun with CA wildlife these days.  In the last 2 weeks we have captured and released easily 10 BIG spiders.  And when I say BIG, I mean bodies the size of your thumbnail.  Normally this is okay, and even a little entertaining (since all three cats get quite excited).  I don't, however, want a repeat of what happened last week when I felt something crawl across my arm just as I was drifting to sleep and turned on the light to find one of said spiders crawling across my pillow.  *shudder*  (I didn't used to be scared of spiders, but CA breeds some deadly types and that makes me nervous.)
+++
 
Speaking of wildlife in the house, last night I was distracted from my bedtime reading when both Bonsai and Zazzy climbed up onto Mikey's bedside table and started chirruping excitedly.  I looked over (expecting a mega-spider, of course) and nearly fell out of bed when I saw that instead they had discovered a frog.  Yes, a frog was climbing the wall next to our bed.  I got a picture but I am not sure how good it will be.  I had to take it through the jar we rescued him with, so as to keep him safe from the froggie-hunting kitties.
+++
 
I haven't touched anything even remotely related to school in several weeks.  And I don't feel guilty.  Or inclined to start.
+++
 
I have noticed a distinct rise in the amount of CNN, FOX (blech), and other assorted news programs that we are watching.  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  Don't worry though.  We are still getting most of our news from Jon Stewart.

No comments: