Sunday, July 11, 2004

Out and About

What a fun day. My mother-in-law gave us a set of theatre tickets that she wasn't going to be around to use, so we wandered our way down to San Diego today. On the way, we stopped at Circuit City to see if we could find any $5 games. Due to the poor handling of the sale, they were all out. Then we grabbed a bite to eat at the huge Horton Plaza mall before settling into our seats for the musical Hairspray. What a hoot. I laughed myself silly and got to see lots of singing and dancing at the same time. Afterwards, we stopped by to check on the in-laws' house (and pool) and then headed home. I have managed to make it sound decidedly uninteresting, but that wasn't the case at all.

A few random ramblings gathered today:

*I saw a guy get really mad and start cursing when he thought the chef was making his lunch incorrectly at the La Salsa where I bought my taco salad. I wonder if he knew I was laughing at him when it turned out to be someone else's lunch he was so concerned about? I hope he was embarrassed about being such an ass.

*When did it become standard for performances to receive a standing ovation? I thought that was something that signaled a really amazing show. Seems like people give the old standing "O" for anything these days. (Not to imply that the show we saw today wasn't good...just made me think of this is all.)

*Although I thought I was becoming more "citified" living here in Temecula, it turns out that I am not. Being in San Diego for 4 hours was nearly more than I could handle. The following things freaked me out:
1. feeling penned in from every direction by tall, grey, dirty buildings
2. homeless people on every other block
3. crazy people, homeless or otherwise, on the remaining blocks
4. a wall with the message "unsafe wall - park at own risk" spraypainted all over it
5. the sidewalk full of people right next to the wall
6. nothing but one way streets, all going the wrong way
7. traffic
8. TRAFFIC
9. TRAFFIC!!!

We got home safe and sound anyway. It is time to see if I can catch the tail end of the Law and Order marathon they are running today. You can never have too much Law and Order, you know! :)

No comments: