Monday, July 26, 2004

I'm not dead yet...

Okay, so I couldn't resist one more post.  I had to tell you about the AMAZINGLY HUGE spider that attacked me last night.  Well, by attack, I mean ran past me while I was lying on the couch.  But I think he made a face and I am SURE that he said something rude.  Or maybe that was me when I levitated to safety upon seeing him.  I can't remember.  It's all a blur.  Anyway, Mikey quickly came to my rescue and Mr. Wolf Spider was sent back outdoors where he belongs.

Regarding family vacations:

When I was a kid there were 6 of us in my family.  Our family vacations usually went this way...
*pack everything we owned into about 835 suitcases
*play a wicked Tetris-like game in which the object is to somehow stuff all said suitcases into the Stationwagon
*wake up at the crack of dawn, run around frantically for about 30 minutes, then shove the children into the 4 remaining holes in the back of the car
*drive non-stop for 12 hours (We stopped when the car needed gas and that was it. You learned to hold it
*tumbled out of the car and into the hotel bed
*repeat until we reached our intended destination - usually Manasquan, NJ

During the 12 hours drives,  my siblings and I would keep each other entertained by throwing snackfoods, not-quite-touching each other, making faces, and playing the license plate game.  My sister and I pretended we were royalty stretched out on the bench seat in the back of the car.  At least that is where *I* stretched out.  She, being lesser royalty, got to stretch out on a blanket on the floor in front of the bench seat.  (Being the oldest has a few perks!)

Our meals were provided by Mom, who would open up the cooler (usually placed under the feet of the youngest) and make pita sandwiches complete with mayo, sprouts (YUCK), pickles, bologna, your choice of cheese, and anything else we could possibly want.  Not only did she manage to make these gourmet sammies in a moving car filled with hungry kiddos, but she also
managed to make each one to memorized specifications.  I got swiss cheese, mayo, no mustard, no sprouts, bologna, and a couple slices of salami.  My brother got cheddar, no mayo, mustard, pickles, and as many kinds of meat as she would give him.  (I don't remember specifically what the other two liked.  But I know Mom did.)  Wash it all down with a frozen juice box or YooHoo and you were set.  Just don't spill!

So...what does this have to do with the current family vacation?  Not much.  Our trip is only going to be the two of us.  We will only be in the car for 5 hours.  We plan on eating out as much as possible.  SO WHY AM I PACKING ENOUGH FOOD TO FEED 6 PEOPLE ON A CROSS COUNTRY TREK?  Because apparently it has become ingrained in me that that is how you do a vacation trip by car.  When Mikey (the voice of reason) says something like "Do we really need a gallon of milk with us?", my chest tightens up and panic sets in.  What if we are driving and we don't have something we want?  What would we do??
Hehehe.  Should be a fun trip.

Update:  Mikey has taken our list of things to do/see/eat and turned it into a detailed itinerary.  I am not the only freak in this family.


No comments: