Sunday, July 04, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11

We just got back from watching Michael Moore's latest documentary. I have to say that of all his films, I appreciated this one the most. Usually, although I agree with his politics and agendas, I find his tactics a little heavy handed. Giving the receptionist a hard time because you can't get to the president of a company is just bad manners. Perhaps it is because I am feeling particularly desperate about the state of the world today, but I didn't find this movie heavy handed. I felt that his points were made clearly, calmly and appropriately. Obviously this isn't a movie for children. It is for adults and it is designed to make us feel anger - something that our government has systematically been trying to numb out of us.

I love my country. I have grown up reaping all the benefits of the United States and I know that I don't appreciate them enough. My car, my house, my clothes, my toys, my health, and my education - all are proof that America is a privileged place. I wouldn't want to trade any of it for a minute. There is no other country where I would be as comfortable and free. I am proud to be part of a community of caring, strong, supportive people who demonstrate on a daily basis how truly amazing humanity really is.

One of the things I like best about America is having the right to speak my mind, whether I agree or disagree with the people in charge, sharing my views and having my chance to influence the path we are on. I don't take advantage of that right nearly often enough. I bravely proclaim my beliefs - in my own living room. I present my argument - to my family members, all of who are even MORE liberal than I. I don't hesitate as I call for change - from the depths of my couch.

This has to change. Today I had the opportunity to meet with members of a local peace organization called PeaceWorks. I could have made new friends, shared stories, and gotten involved. The idea of talking to so many people I didn't know made me uncomfortable though, so I stayed home and cleaned my garage. Each time the chance to meet these people comes up, it is something else. "Too many papers to grade." "I want to finish this book." "What would I say anyway?" Each time, I find some excuse to save myself from a couple minutes of awkwardness. No more. As I sat in the dark theater, watching the credits roll on Michael's movie and wiping the tears from my face, I decided I had made my last excuse. "I'm afraid" isn't good enough anymore. Not when I see what so many others are facing.

I know it isn't much, and I know that I should be doing more, but I made myself a promise tonight. I am going to the next PeaceWorks meeting. I am going to take this first step towards being involved and I am not going to stop there. I will act on the advice of my TV (Quit being passive.) and Mr. Moore (Do something.), and I will become someone who practices what she preaches.

No comments: