Saturday, September 14, 2002

D.O.L (Daily Oral Language) question for the day:

"Fact or Fantasy?
The fairy flew in through the open window."

Discussion regarding this question:

me "Okay, fact or fantasy?"
class "Fact!"
me "Now remember, fact is something that happens in real life and fantasy is only in our imagination."
student #1 "Fact!"
me "Are fairies real or imagined?"
student #1 "Real."
student #2 "Yeah, what about the tooth fairy?"
me *speechless* "Weeellll....."

What would YOU have done? Here is a classroom where at least 50% of the students obviously still believe in the tooth fairy and santa claus and the easter bunny. And in the name of language arts I had to tell them that fairies were not real. Ugh. *I* still believe in Santa Claus! This was a horrible experience! I can just imagine some of these kids all grown up telling someone about the evil sub who destroyed their belief system as a child! : )

No comments: