Saturday, September 14, 2002

Some people just fit stereotypes. They fit so well that you can clearly see how the stereotype came about. They are real, live caricatures. Our waiter this afternoon was a perfect charicature of the "gay waiter". He had the high, whispy voice and the kind of mincing walk. His clothes were crisp and clean and covered with a long white apron. He had an accent and he carried the plates up at shoulder height at his sides instead of waist height out in front of him. At one point he askes us if we wanted more salsa. We both said no. He brought some out anyway, telling me "You said no, but HE (meaning Mikey) said yes with his eyes". Hello??? With his eyes? Salsa? It was funny.

Now don't get me wrong...I don't think stereotypes are accurate. I have yet to meet an actual gay person who acted this way. And I have absolutely NO idea if this man was gay or not, but the presence of a character I had previously only seen on "Kids in the Hall" (very funny Canadian version of SNL) was amusing to me.

No comments: